7 Tips for the First Time Traveler
If you’ve never left your house for any length, or for extended periods, then visiting any foreign country with family members or friends can be very daunting, especially if your vacation involves traveling alone.
When you were child, your parents took all the responsibility and made traveling seem like a simple task. Now it’s your turn to understand all about choosing your destination, booking flights, and hotels. Understanding the check-in time, and getting to the hotel using public transport is important to ensure that your trip goes smoothly.
Aside from the above, you should also gauge the correct amount of currency to travel with. It’s very important to understand something about the local culture and language as this can make your stay interesting and more comfortable. We are providing few top tips that will help you in making most out of your visit.
1. Break the language barrier-When you are visiting another country, it’s likely that their language will be different to yours. If your first language is English, you can do well, in EU and North America, but if you are traveling to Africa, Arab world, or Asia, then there can be a big language barrier. One of the best ways to resolve this issue and improve your options is to somehow cover the basics. You can use a phrasebook and learn some common phrases and questions that can help you find toilets, local transport, and read signs. Also, locals are more likely to help you if they know you are trying to understand their culture and language.
2. Vaccination-You should check the vaccinations you need at least a month before your flight and also check whether you need to take extra precautions during travel. Also ensure that you have adequate medical insurance cover for your destination, especially if you already have some health condition.
3. Bring appropriate clothing-You should enquire all about the weather that’s common when you’ll be visiting. Other countries have different rainfall pattern and humidity and it can be quite uncomfortable for you if you’ve not packed the right clothing. Therefore, you should consider buying appropriate clothing, footwear, hats, etc.
4. Home insurance- If the entire family is leaving, you must ensure that you have renewed your home insurance in case anything happens while you are away holidaying. It would be helpful if you request your neighbors to pop in, or water your plants regularly to ensure that your property looks occupied.
5. Roll, don’t fold-This is a tried and tested packing technique that has been used by thousands of flight attendants around the world for decades. Rolling is much better than folding and allows you more space to pack more stuff. It also helps in avoiding wrinkles.
6. Plan your visit and activities-As you will be spending considerable money and time on your visit, you should plan in advance and research all local activities that you can do. Also find out all about local tourist destinations. Planning each day can ensure that you can see maximum attraction and get more value for your money. However, keep some time aside each day to wander and experience anything interesting that catches your attention and was not planned.
You an also look into the local tourist board for guidance. Many popular tourist attractions offer discount cards that offer access to several attractions at discounted rates and can even be bought in advance on the Internet.
7. Communication-If you are traveling alone, you would want to communicate with your loved ones back home on regular basis. This will not only keep you energized, but will also curb homesickness. It will also help you in keeping everyone back home updated on your travels.
However, you should keep in mind that International roaming can be quite expensive, and you should take specific steps to reduce your call charges. You can use VoIP and nearby WiFi by using apps such as Skype and Viber. This will ensure consistent communication and you won’t have to pay anything. You can also use International roaming cards as they come without any roaming charges and offer discounts as well.
Another way to keep in touch is to agree on some specific time every day and have someone call you back from home on any number. This will save lots of money to anyone who wishes to call you.